mwoody450
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 7:23 pm

Extruder head smacks side at start

Hi all,

I have a QIDI Tech 1 printer, mostly identical to a Flashforge Creator Pro. Per the manufacturer's suggestion, I use the "Makerbot Replicator Dual " settings, and for printing, they've worked perfectly.

My problem came after adding an included fan to the side of the print head. When I print, the device always moves to the far front left of the cage, well past the print bed. Now that the fan is added, this means it smacks the edge really hard, and holds there for 5-10 seconds.

I can still technically print once it decides to move on to the next step, but I'm really worried it's damaging the printer. Where can I edit this setting to adjust it's "start" position without affecting the print alignment?

Thank you in advance for your help!
CompoundCarl
Posts: 2005
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:23 am

Re: Extruder head smacks side at start

That probably means you need to edit your starting script now that you added extra stuff to the toolhead. You probably just need to change one of the X coordinates for a G1 command to keep it from moving too far.
Heutinck
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:14 am

Re: Extruder head smacks side at start

Wen the printer moves to the far left front position, that sounds like where your home position should be. after adding the fan, are you supposed to adjust the limit switch on the x axis maybe? it almost sounds like when it homes the printer at the start of the print, its not hitting the limit switch.
mwoody450
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Extruder head smacks side at start

Thanks guys; I think I've got it. I did a little reading up on GCodes and tracked the problem line in the default code to be this one:

Code: Select all

G1 X-120 Y-70 Z30 F9000 ; Move to wait position off table
I changed the "-120" to be "-110" and it's just about perfect. It doesn't appear to have led to any problems with the print being off-center as I feared, either; it seems these positions are absolute not relative.
wirlybird
Posts: 1374
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:32 pm

Re: Extruder head smacks side at start

mwoody450 wrote:Thanks guys; I think I've got it. I did a little reading up on GCodes and tracked the problem line in the default code to be this one:

Code: Select all

G1 X-120 Y-70 Z30 F9000 ; Move to wait position off table
I changed the "-120" to be "-110" and it's just about perfect. It doesn't appear to have led to any problems with the print being off-center as I feared, either; it seems these positions are absolute not relative.
Agreed, I use -112 and it is fine.
CompoundCarl
Posts: 2005
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:23 am

Re: Extruder head smacks side at start

The latest version has a profile in the configuration assistant for the Qidi Tech I, so you could also just load that. I'm guessing that will be setup correctly instead of trying to modify a different profile.
wirlybird
Posts: 1374
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:32 pm

Re: Extruder head smacks side at start

The QIDI profile is still at -120 and whacks the left side. I go in and change the value to -112 and it is ok.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”