difool78

STL not anchored to the bed

Hi,

I am trying to print a STL made from a 3D scan. No way to "anchor" the part on the printed in S3D.

If you move the view after dropping the part on the bed, it is moving. No way to generate the required support.

I have made the proper cleaning using Matter and Form software + reconstruction in MeshLab.

In order to fix the problem, i have repaired the part with NetFabb and also with Meshmixer, with no results.

The part and Factory file are attached.

Any help appreciated.

David
Test.stl
(105.16 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
Test.factory
(52.65 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
andrewk72

Re: STL not anchored to the bed

Try using a brim or drop the model a bit below the table so that you get a larger flat surface on the bottom
difool78

Hi Andrewk72

Thanks for your answer.

My problem is not to place the part on the bed for printing.

It is just the fact that S3D is not able to set it properly on the bed in order to do actions like supports generation. Seems like a bug, except it is working with many other parts.

Have a try with my factory file or the part itself.

David
dkightley

Running the part through the NetFabb repair service does help....as it makes the shape solid so support can be generated.

Unfortunately, support will not auto-generate due to the shape of the part....so you have to create support manually, which now works as the shape is solid!

Here's your factory file with the repaired shape and manually added supports
Attachments
Test (1).factory
(54.34 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
navzptc

It looks like your faces were inverted - A good read on scans and problems can be found here: http://www.soliforum.com/topic/12264/fr ... -tutorial/

Have attached your file after running it through Meshlab and sits OK on S3D platform :)
Attachments
Test Corrected.stl
(105.16 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
Heutinck

I have had the same issue where SD3 wants to place something I created with autodesk momento with some crazy z offset. I found that if I tried to change the offsets manually, they are way out of the range SD3 can handle. I just hit center and arrange and it placed it flat on the bed and then everything was fine.
difool78

Hi Doug and navzptc

First thanks a bunch for your help confirming that the problem was on the model after the scan. I was pretty sure that it was the problem, but wasn't able to determine it.

I need ramp up on 3d scanning and file prep for 3d printing. I'll have a closer look at the link posted.

David
Heutinck

There is a way to tell netfab to drop the part top the build table. if you open the part and then on the part tab, select "put part on platform" and then export the part as an stl, it will be placed on the platform when imported to SD3

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”