Rhino_Aus

Improvements to first layer adhesion

Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:27 pm

Hello!

I am finding sometimes that rapid travels between small disconnected areas on the first layer of a print can result in them not sticking down correctly. My first fix was to add a small z hop to retractions and that seems to work well, but its only really something I think I need on the first layer. Is there any way to easily set an S3D process to do z hop on the first layer only?

Another way I thought about was to set a low acceleration in the starting script then have it reset on the layer change script. Is that a legit way of doing something like that? How would I find the default values for acceleration in my printer (CR-10)?

Thanks

horst.w

Re: Improvements to first layer adhesion

Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:54 am

You can set process changings everywhere you want.
Use the TOOLS > Variable Setiing Wizard or add manually a second process and set changing height to First Layer Height (%-value of normal Layer Height) + Z-Offset if it is set. The second process is a copy of the first one, there you must change the Retract-values.

Acceleration settings you can read out and change by GCode-commands or by using the knob of the printers display.

Regards
horst.w
GER

Attaching the factory-file is very helpfull

dkightley

Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:14 am

I am finding sometimes that rapid travels between small disconnected areas on the first layer of a print can result in them not sticking down correctly
This is exactly why there are settings to adjust the first layer only....and if you believe the rapid movements are to blame, then why not slow the first layer speed down...and see what the difference is.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net

steve3dprinters

Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:14 pm

Your initial steps of adding a tiny z hop to the retractions seems an interesting one and it must have resolved a lot of troubles relating the first printed layer. Other than this, you could try slowing down the speed of your first layer print and see the difference it makes.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”