DBFIU

Trying to print thin wall tube with single perimeter

Hello,

I am printing a tube about 12mm in diameter with about a 0.8mm wall thickness. I am trying to have S3D make a single perimeter for the wall, I am using a 0.55mm nozzle so the W/T should be fine, the mechanics can handle it at 0.8mm. But for some reason, S3D is forcing the part to have two walls, and this causes too much overlap when I choose a layer width of 0.8mm. I am forced to use a layer width of 0.55mm because it wants to print with two perimeters.

I set my outline at 1 perimeter in layer settings.

I also cant use vase mode because I am making about a dozen of these tubes at a time and they are tall.

Thanks
zemlin

Re: Trying to print thin wall tube with single perimeter

I faced the same issue last week.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5017
doesn't appear that there's a solution.
dkightley

The solution is to use a 0.4 mm nozzle extruding a width of 0.44 mm (or thereabouts) and set perimeter overflow to something like 25%.

For a 0.8 mm wall, you'll get one perimeter....ie two extrusions.....that will be fused together and the wall thickness should be close to what you want.

Its amazing how the dictionary definition for the term "perimeter" gets in the way when you try to imagine an object that is formed into a cylinder. If it was a flat profile, then a "perimeter" is an extrusion going down one side, turning 180 degrees and running back up the other side and joining the start point. Extend the flat profile into a "u" shape, and the same interpretation exists. Continue and bend it round so it joins the other edge...and what happens?? The outer "extrusion is now called the "perimeter"...and the inner extrusion is now called ....well, what can you call it??!

Here's some pictures to illustrate the "confusion"
Capture1.JPG
Capture2.JPG
Capture3.JPG
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
jimc

yes you can do this. you need to remember that it is putting only 1 perimeter down. a perimeter is an extrusion on the vertical surface of a model. your cylinder has 2 surfaces, not one. what you need to do is model it as a solid. like a round bar. it should not be hollow in the middle. then set top and bottom layers to zero and infill to 0%. set perimeter to 1 and the ext width to .8mm. if you want to avoid remodeling it then you can try the check box "merge all outlines into a solid model". choose that then use the settings above. if the merge doesnt work as expected then you'll need to remodel it.
DBFIU

jimc wrote:yes you can do this. you need to remember that it is putting only 1 perimeter down. a perimeter is an extrusion on the vertical surface of a model. your cylinder has 2 surfaces, not one. what you need to do is model it as a solid. like a round bar. it should not be hollow in the middle. then set top and bottom layers to zero and infill to 0%. set perimeter to 1 and the ext width to .8mm. if you want to avoid remodeling it then you can try the check box "merge all outlines into a solid model". choose that then use the settings above. if the merge doesnt work as expected then you'll need to remodel it.
You my friend, are a genius.
pascal32

jimc wrote:yes you can do this. you need to remember that it is putting only 1 perimeter down. a perimeter is an extrusion on the vertical surface of a model. your cylinder has 2 surfaces, not one. what you need to do is model it as a solid. like a round bar. it should not be hollow in the middle. then set top and bottom layers to zero and infill to 0%. set perimeter to 1 and the ext width to .8mm. if you want to avoid remodeling it then you can try the check box "merge all outlines into a solid model". choose that then use the settings above. if the merge doesnt work as expected then you'll need to remodel it.
wow, great post, if i would have read this at 7 this morning I would have been able to save about 50 test prints :)
mary's case

jimc wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:27 pm yes you can do this. you need to remember that it is putting only 1 perimeter down. a perimeter is an extrusion on the vertical surface of a model. your cylinder has 2 surfaces, not one. what you need to do is model it as a solid. like a round bar. it should not be hollow in the middle. then set top and bottom layers to zero and infill to 0%. set perimeter to 1 and the ext width to .8mm. if you want to avoid remodeling it then you can try the check box "merge all outlines into a solid model". choose that then use the settings above. if the merge doesnt work as expected then you'll need to remodel it.

Finally I succeeded, work perfectly with this issue...but...of course this doesn't work if there is another part inside the object (like two rings one inside other with some distance between them)...any suggestions? I'm still learning so I hope you will have an understanding

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”